Because Abraham Heeded My Voice
עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי
5.’Because that Abraham heeded to My Voice, and he observed My Charge, My Commandments, My Statutes, and My Torahs (Laws)-עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי וַיִּשְׁמֹר מִשְׁמַרְתִּי מִצְוֹתַי חֻקּוֹתַי וְתוֹרֹתָי (5111=8).
The verse can be divided so:
· Because that Abraham heeded to My Voice- עֵקֶב אֲשֶׁר שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי(2033=8 counting final Mem as 600);
· And he observed- וַיִּשְׁמֹר(556+1 words=17=8);
· My Charge, My Commandments, My Statutes, and My Torahs-מִשְׁמַרְתִּי מִצְוֹתַי חֻקּוֹתַי וְתוֹרֹתָי (3082+5 words=18).
Rashi comments here that Abraham heeded Him when Hashem tested him. Rashi clarifies the four things that Abraham observed:
· My Charge- מִשְׁמַרְתִּי: These are decrees-גזרות to keep a distance regarding negative commandments;
· My Commandments - מִצְוֹתַי: Matters that would be fit to be commanded even if they had not been written in the Torah e.g. robbery and blood-letting (Yoma 67.b);
· My Statutes- חֻקּוֹתַי: Matters that cannot be rationally explained-Decrees of the King upon His servants (Yoma 67.b) - and which the gentiles take issue with e.g. eating pig and wearing Sha’atnez;
· And My Torahs- וְתוֹרֹתָי: Both the Written Torah-תורה שבכתב and the Oral Torah- תורה שבעל פה to include Laws given to Moses at Sinai-הלכה למשה מסיני (Beraishit Rabbah 64.4).
Abraham heeded My Voice
שָׁמַע אַבְרָהָם בְּקֹלִי
The gematria of the words “Written Torah”- תורה שבכתב is 1335+2 words=14=8.
The gematria of the words “Oral Torah”- תורה שבעל פה is 1098=18.
Written Torah- Oral Torah
תורה שבכתב -תורה שבעל פה
A Law given to Moses at Sinai
הלכה למשה מסיני
The number 608 is the joint gematria of the words "half"-"whole"-double":
608=14=8 or +3 words=611=8
Division returns to unity at the end after unity turns to division at the beginning. Time flows backwards and forwards at one and the same time. At any one time in time we are at two places at once, in the physical and metaphysical worlds. At any one time we are half, whole and double. This is the secret of Creation; this is the Secret of Torah which is metaphysical instrument above time and space. Abraham knew this great secret. He saw beyond the physical veil of creation.
The gematria of the word “by My Voice”- בְּקֹלִיis 142+1 word=8.
The gematria of the word “voice”- קול as normally spelt is 136. This has the same integers as the number 613 which are the amount of Commandments in the Torah.
Abraham kept all the commandments even before the Torah was given to the Jewish People at Mount Sinai. How?
In Torah Shelemah (Toldot p. 1048) Rabbi Menachem Kasher cites many Midrashim and opinions of the commentators on this matter including an interpretation of the verse in the Book of Proverbs (2.2) that Hashem encoded the Torah for Abraham from the time of the Creation of the world (Yalkut Shimoni 2.932);
מהו "יצפון לישרים תושיה" (משלי 2.2)? עד שלא נברא העולם צפן הקב"ה התורה לאברהם שנאמר עקב אשר שמע אברהם בקולי וישמור משמרתי מצוותי חוקתי ותורתי
In other words there was a code that was created for him from before Creation!
In my opinion, Abraham received/ knew this Code, the Code of Life (Name of Hai- שם ח"י) in which the universe was encrypted which he received from Noah who had received it from his ancestors back to Adam who had brought down the Code in the "Hagorot"-חגרת ("Girdles") which he had made for himself and Chava after they ate from the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. I explain this matter in detail in Parshat Beraishit and Parshat Lech-Lecha.
· Hagorot- חגרת =611=8
· Torah- תורה=611=8
Furthermore it can be deduced that the four types of “commandments” stated in this verse-Safeguards, Commandments, Statutes and Torahs are the four paths-directions- that split forth from the mid-point of creation –the point of Original Thought -that form two adjoining circles.
There are 613 commandments in the Torah -248 Positive and 365 negative.
Thus the entire Torah (which contains the entire Universe) is a balance of8 and 8-Positive and Negative.
This is why the gematria of the word “Abraham”- אַבְרָהָם is 248 or 808(counting final Mem as 600).
Abraham observed all the Commandments before they were given to the Jewish People!